Sunday 17 January 2021

Joyful January Day #18: Eat Something New or Different

Eat Something New or Different 

Enjoying creating our meal 

Taste The Difference 

I have eaten sushi when I have been out and about, I enjoy it when I need a quick, tasty lunch on the go. I have never made it though, not sure why as I have had sushi rice in my cupboard for a few years, so it must have been a thought at some stage. Anyway, given our challenge I decided today was the day. I told my son I was going to have a go at making sushi and he screwed up his face a little telling me that he wasn't really a fan especially of the seaweed stuff on the outside. Not to be daunted, away I went and once I got started he wanted in on the action. It was a fun time together and the bonus was that our sushi earned a two thumbs up from everyone at the table, including Mr 'I-don't-do-seaweed'! It was great seeing him trying something new which started with me trying something new too, and it wasn't nearly as complicated as I had thought it might be :) 

Earlier in the month we talked about neoteny- maintaining that child-like sense of wonder. Doing new things helps to harness that sense of wonder and curiosity. Experiencing new flavours or textures helps ignite our senses. Tuning in to novelty helps to create stronger memories, the brain tends to remember new or unusual experiences better. 

There are also benefits to eating a wide variety of foods- it helps to ensure we get all of the essential nutrients we need for happy healthy bodies, it can help us to eat seasonally which is kinder to the planet, it can help you to eat slower as you are focusing on tasting the new food or meal that you have prepared. You may also end up enjoying cooking or eating varied flavours from trying something new. 

What new food or flavour will you create or enjoy today? Like me you might just try cooking something you haven't before... my next challenge is to make handmade pasta at some stage! In the meantime I am going to enjoy the sushi we made. 

Our first attempt at sushi was a tasty treat 

This Joyful January project is part of the Happy Healthy Teachers Matter Online Summit. Restore your health, boost your wellbeing and embark on a happy healthy lifestyle for 2021

That is exactly what the Happy Healthy Teachers Matter Online Summit is all about. YOU having the knowledge, skills, support and most importantly the WHY to make your health, energy and vitality a priority for 2021 and beyond.

22nd - 24th Jan with 17+ heart centred wellness experts and a 3 hour vision board online workshop (recordings available) Find out all the details here
: please follow this linkhttps://www.spectrumeducation.com/happy-healthy-teachers-matter-online-summit-home/ 

No comments:

Post a Comment