Friday 8 January 2021

Joyful January #9: Read For Pleasure

Read for Pleasure

  1. "What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet or excite you. Books help us understand who we are and how we are to behave. They show us what community and friendship mean; they show us how to live and die."
  2. Anne Lamott

  3. Read for the joy of it 

Oh books, so many to read and so little time to do it! 

Today I thought I would share a few books I have read, or am reading, recently... each of these books have been read for pleasure in their own way. 


The Invisible Load by Dr Libby Weaver 

This is an important book, especially for women, to help understand our invisible loads and work on reducing our stress from both physical/biochemical and mental/emotional perspectives. Dr Libby writes in easy to access language and this is a book where you are continually reassured that you are not wrong but given support to make change. 

Wonder Struck by Brian Selznick 

I am fan of Brian Selznick's work. He weaves intricate stories both with his words and his drawings, stories that draw you in to another world and make you want to know more. His work is well researched and beautiful. This would be a wonderful story to share with older children too. 


The Ickabog by J.K. Rowling 

A J.K. Rowling project that took on a new life during a lockdown period last year. The story of the Ickabog is a cautionary tale of vanity and greed. It was a welcome escape as I sat at the hospital A&E with my husband one long night when he was ill. Another one that would be good to share with children. 

Talking to Strangers by Malcolm Gladwell 

Basically assume everything you assume about everyone else is perception rather than truth. This is another great book from Malcolm Gladwell that gets us to really look at ourselves and how we perceive others. It's one I will read again. 



Letter from Birmingham Jail by Martin Luther King 

Such a passionate essay, a voice from long ago whose cries echo for our world now. In some ways we have come some way but we have so far to go until we see the vision that Martin Luther King had as a reality. I think it is important to remember the words written from the past. I love these little books too, they are easy to have in a bag when you are out and about. 

Dark Side of the Brain by Lance Burdett

I am about half way through this book at the moment. It is about the brain and how it works and how we can use what we know to help adapt to adversity especially in dark times. It's written in easy to access language and has useful tips along the way. It does talk about suicide, anxiety, depression as well. 


Bill Bailey's Remarkable Guide to Life by Bill Bailey 

I am a real Bill Bailey fan, he is so clever and funny, a great combination. In this book he has a series of essays that you can dip in and out of. He muses on life, his own experiences and observations. His wit and humour shines through. It's a nice way to lighten up and just remember that the world is a good place for the most part. 




Choose your own adventure series 

I am sharing this with my son at the moment. It is a great trip down memory lane when I used to dive into Twist-A-Plots with much joy as a child, I remember my mum making sure that there was money for me to get the next one from the Lucky Book Club each time the catalogue came out. I am also reading Diaries of a Minecraft Zombie with him as well... to be fair it is not my favourite but it is his Lucky Book Club thing and so I cope! 



The Wonderling by Mira Bartok

This is another book I am reading to my son. I love this beautiful book, such a wonderful, deep, hopeful story. Mira Bartok has created such a rich, full world and filled it with complex characters, it all feels fancifully real. I read this to my class two years ago and am enjoying sharing it with my boy. It generates such great conversation as well. 




You can now probably see why my to-do list doesn't always get done! I'd love to know what you have been reading lately. Please feel free to share :)

I understand that reading isn't everyone's thing, which is alright, it'd be a very dull world if we were all the same. At the same time I do believe that storytelling is an innate human need and we meet this through reading and writing, as well as through telling stories, listening to stories, watching movies and even playing some games. 

In whatever way you engage with storytelling I hope you have time to enjoy it today.  

  1. “Picking five favorite books is like 
  2. picking the five body parts you’d most like not to lose.” 
  3. — Neil Gaiman
 
Click here for a link to the Joyful January Calendar

The Joyful January project is part of the Happy Healthy Teachers Matter Online Summit. This is an opportunity to start your year with tips, tools and techniques to ensure you have the health, energy and vitality to beat the end of term slump and fatigue, and be the best version of yourself all year long. For more information please follow this linkhttps://www.spectrumeducation.com/happy-healthy-teachers-matter-online-summit-home/ 

No comments:

Post a Comment