Sunday 10 January 2021

Joyful January Day #10: Spend Some Time in Nature

 Spend Some Time in Nature 

“There is a pleasure in the pathless woods,
There is a rapture on the lonely shore,
There is society, where none intrudes,
By the deep Sea, and music in its roar:
I love not Man the less, but Nature more,
From these our interviews, in which I steal
From all I may be, or have been before,
To mingle with the Universe, and feel
What I can ne’er express, yet cannot all conceal.”

― Lord Byron, Childe Harold's Pilgrimage


Soaking in nature 

Well the quote says it all, there is pleasure to be found in nature. That pleasure comes from engaging with our senses, mindfully experiencing our time in nature. This doesn't mean that we have to be outside all day every day, although there is nothing wrong with that! It may be as simple as tending some house plants or plants in a garden, watching a bird or a flower, or lying back and watching clouds or gazing at the stars, or you might visit a local green space or park. spend time at a stream, river, lake or beach, go on a bush walk, or enjoy playing in the snow. You could take a picnic or your camera, you might go biking, walking, swimming, sailing or kayaking. So many options. 

The key is that you are soaking it in. You are engaging your senses to immerse yourself in the experience for a period of time. Today I sat in the garden, in the grass and cuddled our rabbit who is a little unwell. I felt the cool grass underneath me as the sun caressed my skin, it was such a treat to feel the sun while enjoying the soft, cool earth underneath me. Our rabbit has the softest fur and her big brown eyes slowly and gently closed as I stroked her, she looked so relaxed. I could smell the lavender nearby as the smell wafted on the breeze. I could hear our chickens clucking in their shelter further down the back yard. As I sat there my heart slowed and I could feel my breathing deepening, I didn't go far to engage with nature today but I certainly felt the benefit. 

There are many suggested benefits to connecting to nature for our health and wellbeing. A reconnection with nature is good for the planet too- we are more likely to care for something we spend time with/in and feel connected to. So everyone wins when we connect with nature! 


Click here for a link to the Joyful January Calendar

The Joyful January project is part of the Happy Healthy Teachers Matter Online Summit. This is an opportunity to start your year with tips, tools and techniques to ensure you have the health, energy and vitality to beat the end of term slump and fatigue, and be the best version of yourself all year long. For more information please follow this linkhttps://www.spectrumeducation.com/happy-healthy-teachers-matter-online-summit-home/ 

No comments:

Post a Comment