Tuesday 12 January 2021

Joyful January Day #13: Enjoy Some Music

Put on some favourite tunes 

“I don’t sing because I’m happy; I’m happy because I sing.”
– William James

Enjoy some music today 

During lockdown I sang a song each day for my class, it wasn't always tuneful and pretty but it was given with love. I did it because music is an important part of our classroom, I did it because I know for some of my students they found joy in singing, and I did it because it made me feel better too. 

Music is a special kind of magic. It can transport us to a specific moment in time in a heartbeat, it can slow time when we are immersed in the music, it can speed up time when we are doing a tedious task. It can make motivate us to move, sing, dance, breathe, think and dream. It can speak the language of our emotions when we just don't have the words to describe how we feel. It can draw out our tears and laughter. There is music inside every living being and it is in us; in the beat of our heart, in the rhythm of our steps, as we breathe in and out, as our blood pulses around our body. Yup, music is magic. 

John Medina dedicated a chapter of his book Brain Rules to music. He shares many benefits of music such as musicians are better listeners and music training can boost language processing for some children, music lessons can improve social skills and can enhance children's empathy. And the thing most people already know is that music can affect our mood. It induces hormonal changes that can soothe us, reduce anxiety, and increase social bonding.

How do you enjoy music? Is it something that is in the background or is it something you tune into deliberately at different times? Is it something that you create or just appreciate or both? 

  • I love listening to music in the car, and singing to it in the car too! 
  • I love singing with others, it is such a good feeling to make a good sound together. 
  • I love hearing live orchestral music. 
  • I love listening to music in the bath or shower, uplifting music in the mornings when I have my shower gets me ready to go, peaceful calm music helps me relax and enjoy a bath. 
  • I love singing with my boy, we even have a special goodnight song we have sung together since he was a little one. 
  • I love having music playing when I am doing jobs outside or going for a walk sometimes, other times I love hearing the music of nature... it depends. 
  • I love playing guitar with the kids at school. 
  • I love dancing to music when the mood takes me. 
  • I love tuning into the music in the backgrounds of movies. 
How will you enjoy some music today? 


“Music expresses that which cannot be put into words 

and that which cannot remain silent”

Victor Hugo 



Click here for a link to the Joyful January Calendar

The Joyful January project is part of the Happy Healthy Teachers Matter Online Summit. This is an opportunity to start your year with tips, tools and techniques to ensure you have the health, energy and vitality to beat the end of term slump and fatigue, and be the best version of yourself all year long. For more information please follow this linkhttps://www.spectrumeducation.com/happy-healthy-teachers-matter-online-summit-home/ 

No comments:

Post a Comment