Tuesday 9 October 2018

Genius Hour- giftEDnz challenge

Kia ora koutou... 

The challenge we have is to explore Genius Hour. I have often found it enticing, dabbled a little, but I couldn't quite see myself following the rules correctly. Tonight I read the following blog post: Idea Starters for the Genius Hour Classroom  and what sweet relief! In the comments there was a thread about research and one comment struck a chord: "it’s a grassroots movement without a lot of rules about “how to do it.”" 

Now regardless of whether this is correct or not it has give me a sense of freedom... no more feeling like I need to have a bunch of lists and criteria etc. I can have the focus on pursuing a passion and that's OK. A focus on creation as opposed to consumption works for me too. 

I feel that this will meet a need that I haven't addressed fully for some of my tamariki this year fully. I am hopeful. 

The lists of possible areas that may be explored are appealing too: 
  • human ingenuity
  • health and social education
  • environment
  • community service
  • The Arts
  • design/make/build something
  • learn new info
  • investigate passion
My intention is to start a conversation around this with my terrific tamariki and build it together. It will just be a start for us this term. 

2 comments:

  1. I am so excited that you're going to talk with your tamariki and plan this together Meg. This is always on of the exciting parts! Loved your list of possible areas to be explored as well. Great springboard to something fantastic. Really looking forward to hearing how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's hoping.. we have a science focus this term so perhaps there will be a logical fit... or not? We'll see Justine x :) Thanks for the support x

    ReplyDelete